- Richmond, VA
A Supervisor is responsible for directly overseeing a group of typically 2-3 team members in a specific department or work area (i.e. repair, paint, cleaning, etc.). The Supervisor is held accountable for his team in meeting production goals, production quality, safety, training, and documentation guidelines as established by the Company. Schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 hour shifts
Duties and Responsibilities
The essential duties and responsibilities are listed below. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintain safety amongst team by promoting Watco’s safety culture, being aware of surrounding, and reporting safety concerns to the site EHS Manager. Supervisors will be responsible for implementing new safety policies and holding their team accountable for policy violations.
- Responsible for meeting production goals, completing production planner, and communicating with Plant Superintendent and Plant Manager the status of work in department.
- Determine appropriate makeup and staffing levels of team by evaluating production forecast and cars in process within shop. The Supervisor should communicate additional staffing needs to the Plant Superintendent, Plant Manager and Human Resources.
- Assign daily tasks to team and hold team members accountable for their productivity and quality.
- Ensure that team has adequate equipment by continually evaluating equipment requirements of crews and individuals. Arrange equipment requisition through purchasing department as needed.
- Maintain the efficiency and product quality of the work crews by establishing goals and providing needed training to achieve stated goals. Counsel team members when goals are not met, taking corrective actions as needed.
- Assist in hiring of employees by interviewing applicants and providing evaluations.
- Ensure the accuracy of daily and biweekly time cards by auditing daily time cards each morning for prior shift and providing daily approval for job costing. Approve direct reports’ timecards biweekly for payroll.
- Continually coach team members on performance, conduct team member performance reviews, and provide recommendation for wage changes. Coordinate with Human Resources on corrective actions when needed.
- Ensure the accuracy of car billing by confirming that all repairs have been signed-off by operator and inspector, that all part numbers are included and correct and that all repairs are authorized by the customer.
Requirements : Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have Tank Car Certifications M1002, M1003, & AAR Audits.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One to three years’ work related experience preferred, but not required.
- Perform/ prioritize multiple tasks with attention to details.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions including basic blue prints and schematics.
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) to support management functions
- Knowledge of FRA, AAR, industry and customer requirements.
- Ability to organize and direct oneself and effectively supervise others.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships and teamwork.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others verbally and to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including steel toed boots, goggles, ear plugs, gloves).